8

February
2018

How Dangerous is Mold in Your Home (and what to do about it) ?

Written by

mold on windows

It is everyone’s desire to have the safest, healthiest, home environment for their families. You would do anything to protect your loved ones from exposure to any substance that could be harmful to their health.

One of those feared substances is “mold” and with what you have seen in the news in recent years, exposure to harmful or “toxic” mold has affected the health of countless people — folks just like you.  Mold can lead to serious respiratory problems, and in some severe cases, death.  Pretty scary.

This brings up the all-important question: Just exactly how dangerous is mold in homes?

That’s a tricky question, because there are many types of mold and mold is virtually everywhere. There is probably a little bit in your bathroom right now. Good chance some in your basement. Your shoes when you came home yesterday no doubt brought in a few mold spores. Mold spores can be in any breathable space and can also travel in the air.

When you step outside, you are surrounded by mold. There’s nothing you can do about that. The main concern is usually what’s in the home, not outside, although if you are sensitive to mold you should avoid all damp areas that could promote mold growth, inside and out.

Some people are affected by even the smallest amounts of mold. They may have nasal problems, watery eyes, runny noses, coughing, headaches, and other physical reactions. A smaller segment of the population are very sensitive to exposure to mold, having severe reactions that can be life threatening. Others aren’t affected at all, and can be around and/or exposure to all types of molds with no apparent sensitivities.  There are a wide range of reactions.

The CDC has plenty of information for those concerned with mold in homes. One of the issues they raise is keeping moisture out of homes. “Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding,” according to the CDC government website.

There are several actions you can take on the outside of your home to control moisture from entering your home:

  • Clean roof gutters on a regular basis.
  • Repair any roof gutters that are damaged.
  • Prevent water from entering the foundation of your home by examining the ground to ensure it is sloping away from the foundation and not towards.

Several actions you can take on the inside of your home to control moisture:

  • Clean up any type of water spill immediately. Mold can form at a minimum of 24 hours in a moist or wet environment.
  • Wipe up any condensation forming on window sills immediately.
  • Air conditioning drip pans should be cleaned regularly. Put it on your calendar!
  • Indoor humidity is a huge factor in controlling moisture. Ideally indoor humidity should be kept between 30 and 50 percent relative humidity.  A moisture/humidity meter (can be purchased inexpensively at your local Home Depot) can provide this measurement for you.
  • Make sure all appliances that produce moisture (clothes dryer, kerosene heater, stoves) are vented to the outside of your home.
  • Hot showers in enclosed bathrooms can create excess moisture. Turn on the bathroom fan or vent or keep the door or window open.

The issue is twofold if mold is growing in your home. You must clean it up or have it cleaned up, and you must fix the moisture problem. You can do your research on how to fix the problem, but the best solution is, no doubt, getting expert advice from a professional water damage restoration contractor who specializes in mold remediation, such as All Dry Water Damage Experts.  Call the Experts!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.